Monday, December 19, 2011

winxp oemCan I use WinXP OEM install disk to install XP on Dell PC w/Vista or 7?

I'm planning on getting a new PC through Dell but I'm not quite ready to upgrade to Vista or 7 yet. I still have my OEM XP disk from my current PC, also a Dell, running XP. Would it be possible to install XP on a new PC with this?
Usually PC vendors like HP and Dell tie the installation cd's to the bios of the machine in the case of OEM setup files. If that is your case it will be virtually impossible to use the CD to install in the new PC that is not from the same vendor and even in that case is not 100% guaranteed it will work. I usually buy HP and only in one occasion I was able to use thwinxp oeme CD in other PC. Another problem is that once you install and register the serial you will not be able to use it in another PC.

Like Josh mentioned, the big challenge is finding support to your new hardware. I had a laptop with Vista and tried to downgrade to XP. If found that I was unable to make work a lot of devices like sound or video and I consider myself as a super expert. I upgrades to 7 and almost everything was supported. I have only one small error in the device manager that is not critical and is working as a charm.
Probably not. The new computer will have modern hardwarwinxp oeme, and XP is too old to recognize a lot of it. This is especially true of SATA drives - they're found in all PCs these days but XP doesn't recognize them. You'll have to format your drive to install XP, which will refuse to install because it will insist there's no hard drive.
It's most likely that the install disc may not recognize the hardware. I would just give Windows 7 a shot. It's a great operating system and many say it's the true successor to XP.
Won't work. Recovery discs are model specific to the computer they came with.

No comments:

Post a Comment